Here are some details on how I put together my Raspberry Pi thermostat.
My apartment's thermostat uses a very simple mechanism to control the heater:
Connecting the red wire to the white wire turns on the heater. Near the center of the thermostat is a glass vial containing some mercury. If the vial tilts to the right the mercury creates a connection between the wires. I attached the two black wires on the bottom and use the Raspberry Pi to control the connection between the wires. The original thermostat remains fully functional: the heater will turn on if either the Raspberry Pi or the original thermostat signal it to turn on.
Friday, January 08, 2016
Tuesday, January 05, 2016
Although Baka Analytics has stopped updating, Baka is still alive. The occasional gaps in the data were due to Baka chewing through the wire which connects the magnetic sensor to the Raspberry Pi (which I had to fix several times). The outage since September 12 is a more serious issue: all of the USB ports on the Raspberry Pi stopped working. I think Baka caused this by urinating on the Raspberry Pi (which was stored next to his cage). I have ordered a replacement Raspberry Pi to use on another project, so it is unlikely I will restart Baka Analytics.
Baka's record was running 17.31 kilometers in a single night. In total Baka was recorded running 682.29 kilometers.
Monday, January 04, 2016
Friday, November 13, 2015
Unfortunately the Kickstarter project I created did not get funded. Here is what the funding graph looked like: Today I released an open source project based on the idea used in the Kickstarter project: https://github.com/byronknoll/battle-map-explorer